(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

PABGANA CHH/TX.                                               373

The two places of most interest in the pargana, Barsana and Kand-ganw,
have already been fully described ; there remain Chaumuha, Chhata, Sahar,
Sehi, and Shergarh, whieh may each claim a few words of special mention.

population 2,275., on the high road to Delhi, 12 miles from the
Mathura station, was included in the home pargana till the year 1816. It has
the remains of a large brick-built sarae, covering upwards of four bighas of land,
said to have been constructed in the reign of the Emperor Sher Shah. It now
brings in a rental of only some Es. 20 a year,* being in a very ruinous state.
This fact, combined with the perfect preservation of the parallel buildings at
Chhata and Kosi, has given rise to a local legend that the work was bad in the
first instance, and the architect, being convicted of misappropriating the funds
at his disposal, was, as a punishment, built up alive into one of the walls ; the
corpse, however, has not been discovered. Immediately opposite its upper
gate, though at some little distance from it, stands one of the old imperial kos
minars. Hough in itself a clumsy erection, it forms a picturesque object as
seen through the arch from inside the courtyard, and would make a pretty
sketch* When Madho Bao Sindhia was the paramount power, he bestowed this
and other villages in the Agra and adjoining districts on the celebrated panel it,
Ganga-dbar Shastri, who constituted them an endowment for educational pur-
poses. In 1824, one quarter of the estate was assigned to his sons Tika-dhar
and Murli-dhar ; the remainder, yielding an annual rental of Bs. 24,000, of
which Rs. 3,730 come from ChaumuM, is the property of the Agra College.
la the old topographies the sarae is described as situate at Akbar-pur, a name
now restricted to- the nest village, since the discovery of an ancient sculpture
supposed to represent the four-faced (chaumuha) god Brahma. It is in reality
the circular pedestal of a Jaini statue or column, with a lion at each corner and
a nude female figure in each of the four intervening spaces : the upper "border
being roughly carved with the Buddhist rail pattern. The inhabitants arę
chiefly Gaurua Thakurs. A weekly market is held on Tuesday. There is a
primary school ; also a bungalow occupied by an assistant patrol in the customs ;
a small new mosque inside the sarae ; a temple of Bihari Ji, built by Kisi Das,
Bairagi, some 200 years ago, and kept in repair by his successors ; and two
ponds known as Bihari-kraid and Chandokhar. As a punishment for malpracties
during the mutiny, the village was burnt down, and for one year the Government
demand was raised to half as much aain.

X, since the mutiny the capital of the pargana, has a population of
6jQ14.   It is on the high road to Delhi, 19 miles from Mathura, with a camping
94